When it comes to cloud-based WordPress dedicated hosting, Cloudways is one of the few companies that strike a balance between affordability and power. They offer a fully managed hosting service that promises no more slow loading WordPress sites and no more WordPress hosting problems.
Cloudways' platform (i.e. cloud server) has an excellent feature set and an infrastructure that is specifically optimized for speed, performance and security, so you can easily scale CPU, memory, storage and other resources as your site grows.
If you are still hesitant to use the dedicated WordPress hosting offered by Cloudways, then sign up for the 30-day free trial they offer to test it out.
What is Cloudways
Cloudways was founded in 2009 by Uzair Gadit, Pere Hospital and Aaqib Gadit and is based on the European island of Malta. They also have offices in Spain and Dubai and have helped launch more than 12,000 servers and 25,000 web applications for users from 43 different countries.
Their mission is to provide cloud-based hosting solutions so that customers can focus on their online business.
- 52 Springvale Pope Pius XII St. Mosta, Mosta, MST2653, Malta
- 44 330 001 0338
- Official Website
- Founded by Uzair Gadit, Pere Hospital and Aaqib Gadit in 2009
When looking for dedicated WordPress hosting, you will come across many similar companies such as Kinsta, Flywheel and WP Engine. while the vast majority of hosting providers offer WordPress hosting in shared hosting, VPS or dedicated servers, one competitor has stepped out of the maverick route and that is Cloudways.
Cloudways offers cloud hosting for WordPress sites on its servers, meaning that multiple copies of your site will exist within the same data center. Data switching is handled by a complex algorithm and if the primary server fails, then a copy of your site will be provided from the next available server.
This design allows for rapid deployment of high-performance, highly reliable computing resources.
Cloudways vs. Traditional Web Hosting
How is Cloudways different from traditional web hosting?
- Cloud hosting means that your website is stored on multiple servers, whereas traditional hosting uses only one server
- Since your website is located on multiple servers, it can be easily migrated in case of any problems
- Cloud hosting increases uptime because other servers in the network can take over in the event of a problem
- Cloud hosting is often faster than traditional hosting, with servers detecting the visitor's location and delivering content from the closest server to the visitor
- Many cloud hosts use SSD drives to improve website performance
- Cloud hosting typically has higher security than traditional hosting, and Cloudways uses a range of security technologies to handle your WordPress site
- Cloud hosting makes it easy to scale quickly, which is ideal if you have a sudden spike in traffic to your website
- With pay-as-you-go pricing, you have better control over your escrow billings
- SSD-based WordPress hosting boosts your site speed using dedicated resources
As with any hosting company, Cloudways servers offer varying amounts of CPU, memory, bandwidth and storage, with the most basic hosting plan featuring 1 processor, 1GB of memory, 25GB hard drive and 1TB of bandwidth.
To make your website more secure, faster and easier to maintain, here are the main features of Cloudways.
- If you need to migrate your website, then Cloudways will take care of this task
- Cloudways CDN can improve page load speed, and faster speed is especially important for online stores
- Automatic fixes to resolve any issues and reduce the risk of site crashes
- WordPress is the most popular CMS in the world, so it is the target of many hackers, Cloudways uses a dedicated firewall to protect your site
- The built-in Let's Encrypt SSL ensures secure communication between your site and your customers
- Dual authentication gives you extra security
- Easy setup of new sites, deploy new sites with just a few clicks of a button
- Various one-click installation applications
- Around-the-clock expert technical support
- Website Migration
- With the Cloudways migration tool, you can migrate your website instantly with just a few clicks of the mouse, or you can let them do it for free.
Launching a website is very easy, Cloudways allows you to configure the required server specifications by choosing to install WordPress directly through the control panel.
Before you begin, you must choose a preferred cloud provider -- essentially, another company that provides the infrastructure for Cloudways. cloudways currently works with five cloud providers.
- Amazon Web Services
- Google Compute Engine
- The above 5 companies are the most popular cloud providers. If you are a professional developer, then you can just sign up for a Vultr or Linode account and not only save a lot of money, but also have more flexibility. For more on VPS, check out this article from us: The Best VPS Recommendations.
- Once you have selected your cloud provider, you can start configuring the server. Using the sliders on the control panel, you can specify the required bandwidth, processor, memory and storage to set various parameters, and finally, Cloudways will prompt you to select the location of the server.
- Once the configuration is complete, your site is up and running.
In the Cloudways control panel, you can see a number of site settings.
The security feature logs the whitelisted IP addresses you use to access the server.
Cloudways allows you to set up automatic backups of your cloud server images, either daily, every two days, every three days, weekly, etc., or manually at any time with the click of a button.
Probably one of the most impressive features, the charts will help you monitor the load on your cloud servers, with drop-down menus providing over 15 variables for monitoring, including incoming traffic, idle CPU and read speed, and more.
- Traffic Spikes
There is nothing more frustrating than paying for advertising, getting a lot of traffic, and then having your website crash. With vertical scaling, you can adjust the allocated server resources with just a few clicks of a button. This is a great feature to have when experiencing a traffic spike.
- Other Tools
In addition to the features mentioned above, Cloudways offers many other tools. For example, you can configure services such as MySQL, Apache and caching. With the WordPress Migrator tool, you can migrate your existing WordPress website. In addition, Cloudways console offers additional tools such as backup recovery, SSL certificate and GIT integration, etc.
To make selling your business online a breeze, Cloudways offers a wide range of e-commerce features and currently hosts over 10,000 e-commerce websites. With the combination of Memcached, Apache, Varnish and Nginx, your website will have 100% reliability and super fast page load times.
Cloudways supports many popular e-commerce platforms, including Magento, WooCommerce and PrestaShop, among others.
Cloudways promises a one-click installation of Magento and the hosting servers are optimized to run online stores at high speed, which helps allow you to achieve higher conversion rates.
Other features include multiple SSL deployments, built-in SSH and Git environments, and a free migration service.
WooCommerce is another popular e-commerce platform and with the help of one-click installation and automatic migration services, Cloudways makes sure that the whole installation process is as easy as possible. Also, the WooCommerce hosting plan includes features like WP-CLI support and server extensions so that you can get some extra resources during busy hours.
How to create a WooCommerce online store
Cloudways has partnerships with some of the top cloud providers in the industry, so you can expect over 99% uptime. This is indeed the case, as we have tested an average of over 99.99% availability for the past 1 year.
Page load speed is especially important for online sites, as long load times can affect a site's search result rankings and cause customers to leave impatiently. cloudways boasts ultra-fast page load times, thanks to its advanced technology stack designed to maximize speed:.
- MySQL/MariaDB for databases
- Solid State Drives for Storage
- The following table shows the page load times we have tested over the past 1 year.
- Cloudways' servers can provide extremely fast load times, and what's even more exciting is that you can reduce this time even lower (37 milliseconds) with various optimizations, check out this article on the official website for more details.
Global Data Center Network
You can choose to use StackPath CDN (Content Delivery Network), they store a copy of your website in data center nodes around the world and when someone visits your website, the system automatically detects their geographic area and delivers your website from the node closest to it.
In addition, you can choose to use the Cloudflare CDN, and Cloudways provides step-by-step instructions on how to do so. cloudflare has recently added 22 nodes in mainland China, but it should be noted that only enterprise accounts can use the CDN nodes in mainland China.
Page load speed can depend on many factors, and on this point, Cloudways offers a great article: 13 Ways to Speed Up WordPress Site for Better Performance.
Cloudways takes server security seriously and your WordPress site will be protected by a sophisticated firewall. Their technologists deploy their own security hardening technology to protect the server from hackers. As mentioned earlier, Cloudways also offers automatic site backups, and you can choose how often you want to back up your data.
In addition to server security, you get application-level security. This is another extra layer of security to protect your online business from external threats.
Getting help from Cloudways is easy, you can contact the support team via phone, live chat or email. Or, you can find answers to your billing, sales or technical queries on the support page, which contains knowledge base articles and FAQs.
When signing up for an account, use the following promo code to get a $30 account credit, which is equivalent to 2 to 3 months of free use.
Cloudways is probably the most flexible company when it comes to cloud-based WordPress hosting, and their cloud servers have an excellent feature set that allows you to adjust each hardware facility of the server at any time as your website grows. What's more, Cloudways is very affordable in the WordPress dedicated hosting space, cheaper than major competitors like Kinsta, Flywheel and WP Engine!
- No credit card information required for free trial
- Unlike competitors that limit the number of sites, Cloudways does not have any restrictions on this
- Easy to use control panel with many useful features
- Automatic site backups are easy to configure and can be scheduled as needed
- In addition to WordPress, Cloudways provides hosting solutions for many other content management systems such as Magento, Joomla, Drupal and Moodle
- Free site migration service
- Pay-as-you-go pricing strategy
- Cloudways is a platform-as-a-service company, so they provide their own console and you can't use Plesk or cPanel
- Cloud-based hosting is not for everyone, as it requires a certain level of expertise, and if you want to avoid technical details altogether, then SiteGround or Kinsta may be more appropriate
You may like
- How to deploy a WordPress website on Cloudways
- Established: 2009
- Minimum price: $10.00/month
- Uptime: 99.99%
- Page load time: 277 milliseconds
- Hosting plans: WordPress hosting, WooCommerce hosting, Magento hosting, PHP hosting, Laravel hosting, Drupal hosting, Joomla hosting, PrestaShop hosting, eCommerce hosting
- Customer Support: Live Chat, Phone, Tickets, Knowledge Base
- Control backend: proprietary control backend
- Payment method.
- Money back guarantee: 30 days